Heaven is the ultimate culmination of complete and total transparency. Perpetual, continual community with Christ at the center is what is in store for Jesus’ followers.read more
Toby Westberry’s senior art show at UNG was phenomenal. Toby just graduated and is such a gifted artist.
He did three wood carving pieces as part of his senior show. This one was titled, “The Deterioration of Officer Saul.” What a cool depiction of a modern day road to Damascus experience. (Read Acts Chapter 9 for the full story.)
It reminds me that regardless of political junk, injustice, unfairness, and all of us being messed up humans, God’s grace has the capacity to transform us. But not just transform us… USE US!
- Impact through us!
- Move us beyond what our current potential is!
- With thorns, prickly stuff, and still bearing the scars of sin; to bring others to the One that heals!
And every bit of that can happen when we lean into that grace, gifting and mission that God has set. What a fantastic story we get to be a part of!read more
Great communication and presentation can lead to transformation in people’s lives. Transformation has the potential to take place when a communicator marries three essential components and leverages them well.
Identify where people live, what they do, what their lives are really like. Ask questions about what they struggle with, where their insecurities lie, and what they really need. All these things point to the ultimate need for Christ and a connection to their maker. Other more felt, present needs are shadows of that need and can lead them to identify that need. LAND WHERE PEOPLE ARE!
- Relational needs
- How to take responsibility
- How to lead their children
- How to love their spouse
- Managing limited resources
- Choosing friends
- Figuring out our priorities
Principles, articulated in a way that people can understand and relate to, are what leads to application. Ultimately we want to point people towards the truth and principles that God has set into the world. CLEARLY DEFINE THE PRINCIPLE YOUR COMMUNICATING!
- Look at your friends, that’s who you’re becoming.
- Choices chart your future.
- Becoming who you are going to be then…. is happening right now.
- Community shapes your faith.
- There’s security is God’s unconditional love.
- Fear focuses. So fear the right things.
Your style of communicating can really make your message FUN! Discover the style of communication that works for you to communicate those principles as you have identified people’s needs. Andy Stanley calls this your “voice.” For some telling stories works well. Or for others object lessons work well. For some opening with the principle works. For others that strategy falls flat, even though they may say the exact same thing. FIGURE OUT WHAT YOUR STYLE IS! Here are some creative ways to communicate.
- Object lessons
- Straight teaching of the principle
- A Bible story
- Teaching from scripture
- Personal story
- A visual
- Video or movie clip
- Interactive participation from listeners
Here is a look at how all these components can come together to lead to transformation!.read more
If you’ve been a believer for 5 years or more, it might be a good idea to know these…y 5 yearnot just have read them, but KNOW them.
- Basic knowledge of synoptics (Matthew Mark and Luke are very similar) , John = Four distinct stories of Jesus life, death and resurrection
- Acts = Beginning of the movement
- John 13,14,15, 16 = Jesus washes the disciples feet, Jesus is the way, The Vine and Branches, The Holy Spirit, Jesus prays
- Luke 15 = The Lost Son
- James 2 = Faith with no works
- Matthew 5-7 Sermon on the mount
- Colossians 1 = Jesus is the Image of God
- Ephesians 1-2 = Chosen and Saved
- Philippians 2 = Jesus’ humility and example
- I Corinthians 13 = Love
- I Corinthian 15 = Resurrection
- Galatians 5 = Fruit of the Spirit and the Law
- Ephesians 6 = Roles in family
- Romans Road = 3:10, 3:23, 5:8, 6:23, 10:9,10
- Torah = Pentateuch = First Five books written by Moses = Law and Early Patriarchs
- Poetics: Psalms, Proverbs, Job, Ecclesiastes, Song of Solomon
- Psalms 1, 51, 84, 119, 139
- Proverbs 3, 31
- Historical Book: Joshua, Judges, Samuels, Kings, Chronicles, Captivity and Rebuilding
- Major Prophets: Isaiah, Jeremiah, Lamentations, Ezekiel
- Big Minors: Daniel, Jonah, Hosea